BENGALURU: City Police Commissioner Pratap Reddy had said that app-based companies which hire gig workers will be responsible for verifying the residential addresses and other details of their employees. The police chief held a meeting with heads and representatives of app-based companies in the city on Friday evening following an increase in sexual assault cases and harassment by food delivery boys in the city.
The meeting was held at the police commissioner’s office wherein other senior police officers were alsowere present. The police commissioner noted that there are more than 80,000 gig workers with app-based companies and added that the companies will be held liable if their employees are involved in criminal activities.
The police commissioner also listed out what the companies will be required to do:
- Company should keep an eye on those already employed, but have a past criminal background.
- It will be the responsibility of companies to verifying the details of candidates.
- Companies should check residential address of candidates during recruitment.
- If any candidate has a criminal background, companies should not hire them and should bring it to the notice of the local police.
- Company should compulsorily examine the background of the staff every month after they are appointed.
- Complete details of staff should be registered on the app
- If there are any incidents involving the employees, the company will be directly responsible.