CHAMARAJANAGAR: In the aftermath of the shootout where three people died in the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary, forest officials are now facing a difficult situation in performing their duty. Anti-poaching camps (APCs) have been targeted and blown up using gelatin, detonators and dynamite.

Forest officials have stressed that those killed were indeed poachers and asked people to help protect the forest and call the toll-free number. Following the blasting of anti-poaching camps by miscreants, Chamarajanagar Superintendent of Police Muthuraju visited the site of the encounter and inspected Karadikallu hill. He visited the destroyed anti-poaching camps and collected information.

On August 15, the anti-poaching camps at Kallidoddi, Budikere, Bandalli, Bhimeshwari, Nalaboli, Jageri and Hole Muradatti were destroyed and blasted using gelatin sticks and dynamite. On August 17, the Minchinarehalli camp in Kothanur range was blasted. Due to the tense situation in the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary, the forest staff had been called back from the camps for safety reasons.

Additional Conservator of Forests (ACF) Mariswamy said there are 28 camps in the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary and eight camps have been destroyed. Police security has also been provided to the forest. “Farmers have not committed this act, poachers have done this. If anti-poaching camps are damaged, it will be difficult to prevent human-wildlife conflict. If you have any information about such acts, please share it with us and call the toll-free number”, the ACF appealed.

“There are 28 anti-poaching camps in Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary of which eight APCs have been damaged. Three residential buildings and 1 jeep have also been damaged. A complaint has also been filed with the police regarding this. As a precautionary measure, police security has been provided. But there are many footpaths into the forest area and there is a possibility the poachers came at night and attacked the camps. Adequate security arrangements have been made in the forest”, he said.

“It is likely that this act was committed by miscreants involved in poaching. We are not saying farmers did it, those involved in illegal hunting have done this work. They have damaged solar fencing and batteries. Due to such attacks, forest wealth is damaged. It will be difficult to prevent human-wildlife conflict. It will adversely affect forest conservation. If people have information about such attacks and blasts, please inform the Forest Department and the Police”, Mariswamy said.

“These anti-poaching camps were set up to prevent wildlife conflict. Our first priority is to ensure that wildlife is not poached. If anyone hunts animals, we will try to catch them but will not attack them. We fire bullets only in unexpected situations or in self-defence. Our staff have taken action for self-defence. We have made adequate security arrangements in places where there could be damage. Our staff have also been instructed to be alert. So far, no one has been harmed”, the ACF said.

“In Kaudalli, a jeep was attacked while staff were having food. A case has been registered against them at Ramapura police station. I do not wish to say more as it is under investigation. The anti-poaching camps have been destroyed out of enmity. Join hands with us to keep the forest safe for future generations,” ACF Mariswamy told Public TV.







