Chlorine gas leak at scrap yard in Mysuru leaves many ill

Public TV English
Public TV English
1 Min Read
The gas leak occurred when a cylinder was being cut open.

MYSURU: More than 30 people fell ill and some of them were hospitalised following a gas leak at a scrap yard at Old Kesare in the city on Friday. On Saturday, chlorine gas had leaked from cylinders stored at the scrap yard.

After the gas leak, many people including men, women and children had started complaining of breathlessness and coughing. Five of them were even hospitalised. Firefighters arrived on the scene and contained the gas leak.

Firefighters managed to contain the gas leak on Friday.

Investigators found the Mohammed, the owner of the scrap yard had purchased some items, including chlorine cylinders, from Davanagere about three months ago. Some of the cylinders were empty while some contained chlorine gas.

While cutting open one of the cylinders, a worker had fallen unconscious and the chlorine gas soon spread around the area. A case has been registered at the Devaraja police station against the scrap yard owner Mohammed.

Share This Article