Stones pelted at Shivaji Maharaj Jayanti procession in Bagalkot, 8 arrested; CM appeals for calm

Public TV English
6 Min Read

BAGALKOT: Tension prevails in the town after a grand Shivaji Maharaj Jayanti procession was pelted with stones and footwear hurled from a mosque, targeting police personnel, Hindu activists and damaging property, on Thursday night. The police on Friday arrested eight people and registered an FIR in connection with the incident.

Bagalkot Superintendent of Police Sidharth Goel said the incident occurred shortly after 10 pm pm on Thursday, just before the procession reached a mosque. Prayers at the mosque had concluded by around 9.30 pm, though a few people were still inside at the time.

The police have arrested the prime suspect, Tanveer Hawaladar, who was identified through CCTV and video footage. The situation is currently under control, with additional police forces deployed to maintain peace. The incident has sparked tensions, with Hindu activists demanding action against the perpetrators.

Main accused Tanveer.

Curfew has been imposed in certain areas of Bagalkot, prohibiting gatherings of more than four people and unauthorised assemblies. The situation is being closely monitored, with authorities urging citizens to maintain peace and harmony.

“In Bagalkot city, an FIR has been registered, and eight persons have been arrested in connection with the incident of stone pelting and slipper throwing during the grand procession held on the occasion of Shivaji Maharaj Jayanti. The incident occurred before the procession reached a mosque. It took place around 10.06 pm and we were present there. The prayers at the mosque had concluded around 9.30 pm, and a few people were still inside,” the police superintendent said.

He explained that one person picked up two stones placed under a shoe rack and threw them, which hit members of the public as well as police personnel. No serious injuries were reported. He informed that the prime accused, identified as Tanveer Hawaldar (28) of Sector No. 10, Navanagar, has been arrested, along with seven others, for obstructing police duty. Despite the disturbance, the procession continued peacefully. To maintain law and order, prohibitory orders have been imposed under Section 163.

“One individual picked up two small stones that had been placed under a shoe rack for support and threw them. The stones hit members of the public as well as our police personnel. No serious injuries were reported. Tanveer Hawaldar (28), a resident of Sector No. 10, Navanagar, has been arrested as the prime accused. Seven others who obstructed police duty have also been arrested. Following the incident, the procession continued peacefully. To maintain law and order, prohibitory orders have been imposed under Section 163,” the SP added.

District Deputy Commissioner Sangappa and SP Siddarth Goel visited the spot to assess the situation. The DC appealed to the public to remain calm and peaceful, saying, “Such incidents should not have occurred. We urge everyone to maintain peace and harmony”. The situation is currently under control, with authorities urging citizens to maintain peace. A peace meeting has been called for 5 pm, with the presence of the IGP and representatives from both communities.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah described the incident as unfortunate and appealed to citizens to maintain peace and harmony. He said the police had acted swiftly and assured that a thorough investigation is underway to identify all those responsible. He urged people not to fall prey to rumours or provocation and called for unity and communal harmony in the state.

“The incident of stone pelting reported in Bagalkot is unfortunate. I appeal to all citizens to maintain peace and harmony. Karnataka’s strength lies in its unity and brotherhood. The police have taken swift action and have already made arrests. They are conducting a thorough investigation to identify the cause of the incident and all those responsible. Strict action will be taken against the perpetrators, irrespective of who they are. I urge everyone not to fall prey to rumours or provocation. Let us stand together to preserve peace and communal harmony in our state,” Siddaramaiah wrote on ‘X’.

Vegetable vendors’ pushcart set on fire

Jannat B Doddamani, a 60-year-old vegetable vendor, broke down in tears as she recounted the incident. “I’ve been selling vegetables for 40 years, and this is the first time something like this has happened. They set fire to my pushcart, burning all my vegetables and the money I had earned. My children also sell vegetables; how will we survive?” she asked.

The incident has also sparked anger among Muslim community members, who condemned the violence and demanded action against the perpetrators. “We live in harmony with our Hindu brothers and sisters. These miscreants are a minority, and they should be punished,” said a local Muslim leader.

The authorities have assured that the perpetrators will be brought to justice, and efforts are under way to restore peace in the area. The vegetable vendor’s family is seeking compensation for the loss they have suffered.

Share This Article