Jilted youth kills girl by stabbing her multiple times at her house in Hubballi

Public TV English
Public TV English
4 Min Read
Anjali Ambigera was brutally murdered by Girish alias Vishwa inside her house in the early hours on Wednesday.

HUBBALLI: Close on the heels of the Neha Hiremath murder, a jilted youth brutally killed a 21-year-old woman by repeatedly stabbing her and dragging her all around the house, at Veerapura Oni here in the early hours today. He fled the scene only after ensuring that the victim, Anjali Ambigera, was dead. The accused is Girish a.k.a. Vishwa who was involved in some theft cases including two-wheeler theft.

Tension prevailed in the locality in the morning; (right) The accused Girish fleeing after committing the murder.

Anjali and Girish knew each other from work. Around 5.30 am today morning, he knocked on Anjali’s door when she was asleep and when she opened the door, he barged in, spoke to Anjali’s grandmother and sister and then took her aside. He suddendly started stabbing her and when the other family members tried to intervene, Girish dragged Anjali around the house while repeatedly stabbing her. He then fled the house after ascertaining that she was dead.

Dharwad SP Gopalakrishna Bakod and other senior police officers at the scene of crime.

According to family members, Girish had asked Anjali to accompany him to Mysuru last week and when she refused, he reminded her of the Neha Hiremath case and threatened to kill her in similar fashion. The family immediately complained to the Bendigeri police, but they were allegedly sent away stating that no such thing would happen.

Anjali was away from home for the last three months and had returned only eight days ago. In her free time, she would work with a caterer. She and Girish were colleagues earlier and he had started to pester her to accompany him after she returned.

Anjali’s sisters Yashodha and Pooja, and grandmother Gangamma.

Anjali’s sister Yashoda said. “Girish knocked on the door at 5.20 am and asked for our grandmother who was sleeping. He said he was in love with Anjali and wanted to marry her. Our grandmother told him to bring the elders from his family to discuss the marriage. He then threatened my sister and I warned her to move back. He then suddenly stabbed her multiple times in the abdomen. We had informed the police around the time of Hanuman Jayanthi when Girish had threatened to kill Anjali, but they only said they will conduct inquiries”.

“When Girish knocked on the door for the second time, we all woke up. We told Anjali not to open the door, but she went ahead and opened it. We tried to save Anjali when he was stabbing her, but he didn’t let go of her. She had only told us that Girish was her classmate. He had threatened to kill her, but the police did not act”, said another sister Pooja.

Dharwad SP Gopalakrishna Bakod briefing the media about Anjali’s murder.

Dharwad SP Gopalakrishna Bakod said, “We have registered a case at the Bendigeri police station and we have formed teams to arrest the accused. We will verify if the family had earlier informed the police about the threat to Anjali.

Anjali’s mother Sudha had died some time ago and her father Mohan lives separately. Anjali and her younger sister Yashodha were living with her grandmother Gangamma at her house in Veerapura Oni. Legislator Mahesh Tenginakai visited the KIMS hospital mortuary and offered condolences to the family members.

Share This Article