H3N2 influenza virus spreading across country, doctors advise caution

2 Min Read

BENGALURU: After Covid-19, now, another new virus, called H3N2, is spreading across the country over the last two-three months. Medical experts say the H3N2 virus is a bit more dangerous than regular cold-causing viruses as it causes respiratory problems.

The Union Health ministry has released guidelines in this regard and advised the Karnataka government to take necessary precautionary measures. The Indian Medical Association (IMA) has also asked doctors and pharmacists to avoid prescription of antibiotics for H3N2 patients.

Health and Medical Education Minister Dr. K Sudhakar
Health and Medical Education Minister Dr K Sudhakar said a meeting will be held on Monday to discuss about the seriousness and impact of H3N2 influenza virus. Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya will address a virtual conference following which Dr Sudhakar will chair a meeting of experts. The government is expected to give out information about prevention and treatment of the viral disease.
Dr Randeep Singh said, “The H3N2 influenza virus is common seasonal infection of flu, that occurs during March and October. There is sudden increase in symptoms of cough, nausea, vomiting, sore throat, fever, bodyache and diarrhoea. The infection can be seen more among those below 15 years of age and above 50 years age”.

Dr Randeep Singh has advised patients infected by H3N2  to get symptomatic treatment not go for antibiotics. 

People have started to use antibiotics after Covid-19 such as azithromycin, amoxicillin, doxycycline and ivermectin. These leads developing resistance. If anybody is infected by seasonal virus, they should get symptomatic treatment and not consume antibiotics. It can be use only if they have secondary bacterial infection on doctors’ prescription.


  • Frequently wash hands with water and soap.
  • Wear mask.
  • Do not go to crowded public places.
  • Do not touch your nose and mouth frequently.
  • Drink more water.
  • If you have fever or bodyache, consult a doctor.
Share This Article
Exit mobile version