BENGALURU: Amidst the summer, the Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board (BWSSB) is preparing to hike water tariff and consultations are in the final stages. It is also planning to supply Cauvery water through tankers at lesser rates.
According to BWSSB chairman, Ram Prasath Manohar, Deputy CM D K Shivakumar has instructed the board officials that the tariff hike should not affect consumers much and the board should also not suffer losses. Hence, they are doing a balancing act, he said.
Meanwhile, the water board has also come forward to supply Cauveru water through tankers to households from April 15. This comes in the wake of high rates charged by private water tanker operators last year.
The BWSSB will supply 6,000 litres of Cauvery water and will charge Rs 750 per tanker within a 2-km radius with an additional Rs 50 for every extra kilometre, Ram Prasath Manohar. Citizens can book online for the tankers 24 hours ahead and even make the payment. The Cauvery water on wheels is the first such initiative in the country, he said.
Those booking for the tankers will not have to pay anything extra for the water tanker drivers and will only need to share an OTP. “Private operators supply borewell water whereas we will supply Cauvery water”, he said.